"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Where is This Coming From???

>> Friday, June 13, 2008

My spy sweeper keeps popping up with a notice that reads like this: File System Shield has quarantined a potential threat that was trying to install itself.

When I open the spysweeper I see that exp/ms04-028 is in my quarantine file. Now, I've deleted this quite a few times and it just keeps reappearing and trying to install itself.

My question: it is being stopped as a virus. Is it? I can't find anything on it but my virus software is up to date so I am assuming it knows what it is "talking" about. And, if it is a virus, where is it coming from? I have deleted all my deleted files. What else should I do so it stops trying to lodge itself in my computer?

Anyone?
Anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous 10:12 PM  

Have you checked the web site for your software provider? They may have some more information on the message you're getting and how to get rid of it. Wish I could be more help!

lila 10:53 AM  

Hey Jody--its malware/virus. Often loads with a jpeg.

Trend Micro has good info.
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=EXPL_MS04-028.A


generic detection for JPEG image files that exploit the MS04-028 vulnerability, which is also known as Buffer Overrun in JPEG Processing (GDI+) Could Allow Code Execution.

These JPEG image files may be crafted maliciously to contain executable code such that the code is automatically executed when the image files are viewed on vulnerable or unpatched systems. The code may also execute even when the image files are simply previewed as thumbnails. The crafted files may also cause Windows Explorer to crash

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP