"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Our First Stop in Ireland

>> Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The closer we get to spring the more you are going to hear about our trip to Ireland. Try not to hate me. I’m just so excited!

I have been working on our itinerary for, oh, the last year and a half, trying to fit in some of my favorite places from my solo trip in 2003 (to share with Doug and my mom) along with a few places that are new to me.

My plan is for us to fly into Dublin and work our way back to Shannon for the flight home. And the first stop on my itinerary is the Wicklow Mountains, just south of Dublin.

I had thought to make this stop the last time we were in Ireland but we decided to skip it in favor of Dublin. In hindsight we should have stopped.

I want to hike through the mountains and visit Glendalough, the Glen of the two lakes. The monastic site was settled by St. Kevin fourteen centuries ago and today it is one of the most important sites of monastic ruins in Ireland.

The photos I have seen of Glendalough and the surrounding area I know that a single day won’t do justice to all there is to see- historically and naturally. It’s breathtakingly beautiful. I'm not geoing to skip it this time.

1 comments:

Sally 9:31 AM  

Ooh, I love Ireland! We spent a week there last year for my best friend's wedding. We stayed right around Shannon for most of the week (in Adare, actually), with side trips to see all kinds of things. Hubby golfed 3 or 4 times, and loves the Links courses. The wedding reception was at the Adare Manor, which is an old castle and is gorgeous!

We are ready to go back!! You'll have a blast.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP