"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fantasy or Reality

>> Thursday, December 06, 2007

I was watching Dr. Phil the other day. Yeah, sometimes it happens. Anyway, he had a teen aged girl on who was completely wrapped up in a virtual online game.

I can’t remember the name of the game but this girl would spend hours playing it. Days, in fact. This game had taken over her life; so much so that she was avoiding her real life in favor of the life her avatar was “living”.

And since not long ago Law & Order SVU had an episode centering around a similar game the “real life” thing kind of freaked me out.

Not that there is anything wrong with a bit of fantasy. Heck, in my fantasies I live in a manor in Ireland and am a relatively decent writer. And I think that’s healthy. Since my fantasy is actually more of a goal (although a manor may be a bit grand)I think it may even be helpful to me.

It's just when your fantasy becomes you reality that problems really begin to arise. I was reading an article by The Sedona Method that made a lot of sense.

The bit that really struck me was this:


So while typically there is nothing wrong with fantasizing about your career, sex life or life in general, it’s essential that you stay in control of your fantasies, and put your focus on your reality.

So, while fantasies aren't bad, ignoring your reality is. Great words of advice, I think.


0 comments:

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP