"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Is Family Circle Reading My Mind?

>> Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A few months ago when I visited my gyno he mentioned that I should go and have a baseline mammogram. You know... Since I was having babies "late" and didn't get my baseline done at 35 like all those "on time" women.

Anyway... I put the sheet of information and phone numbers on my desk and it got buried under the piles of "do this now" stuff... And I didn't get around to it.

Then, a week ago, my grandmother was diagnosed with a rapid growth type of breast cancer. (I wish I could remember what kind... Not happening right now... It will come to me later when I'm giving the girls a bath, I'm sure...) Anyway, a week after her diagnosis (yesterday) she had a radical mastectomy. (She went home today. She's doing well. Thanks for the prayers.)

Anyway... Last week the new Family Circle came to my house. And in it was an article titled "Why Haven't You Had a Mammogram?" "Yes, why haven't you?" thought I as I realized that I was really just putting off the inevitable.

So I made my appointment... it's next Wednesday afternoon. Wow... Did they get me in quick or what?

So... Who out there has had one of these done? Is it as uncomfortable as I hear about? Or is the procedure much ado about nothing?

6 comments:

Marie 8:03 PM  

It is uncomfortable. But it's over before you know it! Good luck!

red fish 8:51 PM  

Nothing compared to having babies, and the peace of mind is worth it.

The Fritz Facts 9:03 PM  

It is uncomfortable, but so worth it. It goes really fast. And yes, I have had 4.

Anonymous 10:12 PM  

Seriously. I have had 3. And a core sample biopsy and an excisional biopsy. The mammos hurt less than either of the biopsies. Just do it.

Anonymous 8:06 AM  

It's not bad at all and so worth based on having a family history of breast cancer. If you are worried, take a tylenol before hand. Love your blog.

Hillary in Cedar Rapids

Anonymous 8:37 AM  

I think it depends on a lot of things, but I have NEVER had any pain. I'd go every day and not sweat it if they told me I had to.

I've had a biopsy as well and although its not something I'd say, "OH! YES! Every day please!", if they told me I had to have another, I'd not break a sweat. That however, depends on if there is infection involved. If your biopsy is due to infection, I hear it is painful. That is not that common, though.

So... go. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Just go. Its a non-event and you'll be glad you did it... AND you are setting an example for your girls. Talk about it with them when they will understand. You are protecting yourself AND them.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP