"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm Afraid This is Only the Beginning of the Division

>> Tuesday, September 23, 2008

OK, so I got this email the other day (name and website removed to protect the intolerant)


Hi, Jody.
My stats indicate that you've posted a link to my blog on your website. While I'm flattered that you would choose to link to me, your site includes political content with which I do not want to be associated. I would like to ask that you please remove the link to my blog from your site.

Thank you so much for your help with this.
I found this funny for a couple of reasons...
  1. In my blog world any links are good links.
  2. That link had been there for quite a while.
  3. If her stat counter showed activity from my site that means people were visiting her. Isn't that good?
  4. People visiting from my site already know my politics and aren't going to be offended if you're some freaky tree-hugging-placenta burying Wiccan. They are visiting for your crafts.
Yep, it was a link to a craft site.

So, because my politics differ from hers she doesn't want my link on her site.

So I responded with "As you wish"... but here's what bothers me...

While I am absolutely terrified at the thought of Barack Obama becoming president and am almost as scared as what will happen if he doesn't. Because you know that everyone who voted against him will be termed a "racist" and "intolerant". And the election will have been "stolen" or "rigged". Because, as I was told in the Des Moines Register the other day, "the majority of the country backs him". Since most of the polls have had the country split practically evenly for weeks I am wondering where that information came from...

As an aside...

Can anyone tell me why those who preach tolerance are so intolerant of conservative views?

Also, why where there more arrests during the RNC (800) than the DNC (152)?

Just curious...

11 comments:

Sally 4:56 PM  

Go Jody!

And I'm glad you removed the link...I don't want to accidentally end up at some freaky tree-hugging-placenta burying Wiccan's craft site. =)

Laine 6:18 PM  

I think anyone that has any idea of what is going on in the political side of the world (hello ppl wake up!) would see that either way we are all SCREWED! Obama or McCain... hmmm gee... what a choice! blah!

Fantastagirl 7:59 PM  

I wish that people could realize that acceptance goes both ways... I tolerate their point of view, they tolerate mine - and the world is a happy place. We don't all have to sit around the campfire and roast marshmallows together, but stop the hate people. If I don't like Obama, it's not because I'm a racist, it's because I don't think he's the right person for the job - he's a JR SENATOR.

Anonymous 9:03 PM  

Isn't it ironic that the people who preach tolerance are most often the ones who most intolerant?

Methinks she doth protest too much.

Anonymous 9:22 PM  

i think you are taking it too personal.

if she doesn't want the link to her website on your website, how does that really affect you?

Me 6:19 AM  

I'm seeing much bigger disconnect than even the last two elections, and I'm getting it from both sides. I am getting spammed by friends and family - do you really think that sending me biased chain emails repeating debunked myths about a candidate and ending with how anyone who votes for the other side is an idiot is going to sway me? I'm also seeing the number of truly neutral sites analyzing policy diminishing - ignoring the gaffes made by their own side, parroting talking points instead of neutrally comparing the numbers.

I think people have an innate feeling that this election will have serious ramifications, but instead of doing what is logical - taking a step back and really dissecting the issues as neutrally as you can, keeping in mind your own inherent biases - they're reflexively jumping back to their comfort zone, which is inevitably partisan. Why do people become so personally invested in a candidate that any critique seems to take on the flavor of heresy? It's a job interview, not a religion. It's stupid just to vote for change without knowing what you want changed, why, and whose policies are most in line with what change you desire. Anyone who won't even talk to (or link? WTF?) the other side is compounding the problem.

Sorry people are stupid. Keep blogging no matter which 'side' you're on and don't let it bug you.

WILLIAM 7:04 AM  

I find it strange they would want the link removed.

Any link is a good link.

I would link the site in a real prominent fashion explaining that the site is a a GOP site.

Anonymous 8:45 AM  

My thoughts exactly.

Those preaching the word of PEACE and LOVE ... and that it's what we need in this world are the very people who are arguing, showing up and the GOP convention and rallys and posting nasty, usually untrue, blog posts and comments all over the Internet.

Hhhhmmmm.

It's really very irritating.

Jody 8:55 AM  

Malkovich03- It was a really nice craft site..

But seriously, it wasn't so much about being asked to remove the link, it was why that bothered me. I am looking more at the overall picture of the divide in our country than the link of a blog. I thought I made that pretty clear.

lila 10:07 AM  

Unreal! It would be funny if it was not so sad.

Paula Reece 11:27 AM  

I have been thinking the EXACT same thing lately. We seem to be on this downhill slide as a country that doesn't seem like will be fixed whichever way the election goes. It really aggravates me how one side can SAY they're the OPPOSITE!

And I would take the fact that she asked you to remove her link as a compliment. :)

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP