"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

On Pregnancy and other topics

>> Monday, October 11, 2004

Up until now I have maintained that pregnancy has been a breeze. And, really, it has. I didn't any have morning sickness to speak of. No crazy midnight cravings. Not really any mood swings. Honest.

There was the bout of PUPPPS. Now that sucked. Luckily it came on around week 26 and was only extremely itchy and annoying for 2 1/2 weeks. I slept with ice packs to numb the worst areas, woke up every night at 2am & soaked in an oatmeal bath while my ice packs refroze. Now I have some dry skin patches and still feel a bit of itchy tingling but nothing awful.

It is only in the past week that I have really become ready to be DONE with this whole pregnancy thing. It all started when I lost my ankels. Yep, I had them one day & they were gone the next. And with them went my ability to wear shoes. I have one pair of very stretchy shoes and my slippers. They don't even feel tight and my feet swell up around them like a Dubuque Plumper.

And speaking of water retention: fingers. I knew I probably wouldn't be wearing my rings at the end of the pregnancy. I wasn't prepared for my fingers to become so fluid filled at night that they would actually become stiff & agonizingly sore- enough to wake me up.

And the exhaustion. I feel like I can't carry a basket of clothes up the stairs without needing a rest. A 30 lb weight gain makes such an impact.

2 weeks out. Right now it feels like forever.

On another aspect of baby stuff, all large items have been relocated to Doug's new office. We painted the trim that couldn't be removed & the doors white. Sometime this week we will get the walls painted. (I highly suggest the Wagner Power Roller. Makes painting a breeze.) That will leave only trim & crown molding to be placed. Yippee!! The room may actually be complete before Brenna arrives!

I've been having some contractions the past few days that have a bit of bite to them. Just enough to make me catch my breath. No rhyme or reason to them yet... but I put my mom on notice as she's agreed to puppy sit while we're at the hospital. Maybe she'll even freeze a lasagna...



5 comments:

Angela 5:13 PM  

Did you watch the worlds largest baby shower today on OPRAH? It brought tears to my eyes. :*)

Lars 5:16 PM  

Oh Jody! You sound like you're ready to have a baby alright :-) Now, I'm a man and only 23, so I can't really talk much about this topic, but you're such a strong woman and you're handling it like a pro!

Good luck with the last stretch of the pregnancy and I can't wait until the news of a new bundle of joy for the Halsted's! :-)

Is it Braxton-Hicks(sp?) contractions?

I don't hear enough of Doug doing things for you and you making him pay for not having to be pregnant! Make Doug do everything for you :-) :-) haha

Jody 6:16 PM  

Angela: Yes, I did see Oprah. I cried... alot. Damn hormones!

Lars: Yes, I guess these would be Braxton-Hicks. They really aren't too bad and it is reassuring to know that something is going on down there.

Doug does a lot for me. Do I not give him enough credit? He rubs my back when I feel icky... He feeds me when I don't feel like cooking... He works and lets me stay at home... He's done so much work getting the house ready for Brenna... We're a couple of pretty pampered girls.

Me 9:25 PM  

Darn... you mean when I was pregnant I was supposed to have husbands do things for me, and Moms cook for me!? Shoot. I'll have to get pregnant again and get it right this time. Hee hee. Seriously though: Keep those legs elevated, cut down on sodium and *try* to enjoy these last few days with the little Bundle inside of you. You'll look back on these days with fond memories believe it not. ;)

Anonymous 9:42 PM  

My pregnancies were like yours... piece of cake. It's the last two weeks that kind of stink. I was over it. Your feet stay swollen after you have the baby, for a week or so, so take slippers with you to wear home. If your shoes aren't fitting now, they definitely won't then.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP