"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm a Mom Now

>> Saturday, October 30, 2004

As all of our regular visitors have seen, Brenna Clare has decided to join us. And not a bit too soon, in my opinion. I'm biased, of course, but she is perfect.

I had arrived at the hospital prepared to battle contractions by walking and breathing. I was informed, however, that I had not dilated at all and because my water had broken I would be given Pitocin and confined to bed. Damn. And I bought new slippers, too.

I won't bore you will the details of my labor, it's not that interesting. By 4 pm I had only dilated to 7 and was beginning to run a fever, a very common event if your water has been broken for more than 12 hours. At 5 pm my fever was over 101. The doctor said that I could continue to try to have her vaginally, but that with my fever, the fact that I still hadn't dilated completely and that the baby was becoming distressed during contractions he thought that I would end up having a c-section, regardless. So, I chose the c-section. I'm not a fool. The odds were against me. I was only sad because I wouldn't get to hold my baby right away.

The hospital stay was uneventful. We were able to come home Friday afternoon. No problems there... until bedtime. Everything in Brenna's room was ready for her and the monitor system was set up. We put her in bed and tears sterted to run down my face. OK, I started to bawl. Brenna was unfazed. And I'm sure that Doug thought I was losing my mind. Separation anxiety. Noone told me about that. Why didn't anyone tell me about that?!?! But we made it through the night. I laid awake, listening to the monitor & crying until 3:30 am- time for her feeding. I was able to put her down after that with no problem, and Doug was finally able to sleep.

Speaking of Doug, he's been a diaper changing champ. He did cover his nose with his shirt to change a blow-out today, but, hey, he changed it. He is an incredibly doting father and I think it will tug at his heart to go back to work on Monday. he's in love. Between visitors today we just vegged on the couch completely in awe of the baby. For someone so small who only eats (like a champ), sleeps (like her dad), and poos, she's fascinating.

3 comments:

Jerry 4:22 AM  

The first time I changed Aaron's diaper was in the hospital before we came home. Sue was out of the room, so I just grabbed a couple of rubber gloves out of the box on the wall and did the job. Sue made fun of me for that.

A few months later, I was changing a pee-soaked diaper, had just gotten him clean, and he let out a little grunt and poop started coming out. Without thinking, and not wanting to get the diaper table cover dirty, I raised his legs up... and caught the poop in my bare hand. Sue made fun of me for that.

There's just no pleasing some folks. (Grin)

Polish that halo. Every day's better than the one before.

J.

Anita 5:34 PM  

Welcome home, Jody! I'm so glad you are experiencing all the fun of motherhood. Your labor sounded tough though. I had a fever with mine too . . .but they pulled my poor little guy out with forceps. I'm glad you are all home and safe and sound now.

And I'm super glad to see that you are still finding a few spare minutes to blog!!!

Doug H 4:45 PM  

Don't worry, I'm doing my best. And Jody's Mom (who posts here as CC) is doing her best to take care of all three of us.

Toby, the German Shepard mutt, is taking his guard duties very seriously. He can be found at Brenna's door when she's sleeping. The cats though compete for rights to Brenna's changing pad.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP