"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Got Wood?

>> Monday, November 12, 2007

I am forever trying to figure out how to keep my wood floors looking their best. With two toddlers and a dog it ain’t easy.

I found this flooring website that is full of information. On the right side of the page is a great list of tools including : How To Clean Hardwood Floors.

Terrific, give me the info…

Let’s see; area rugs- check. Broom- check. Hmmm, buffing. I haven’t done that in a while. Protectors on the chairs and table- check.

Here’s something interesting:

Do not use ammonia cleaners or oil soaps on a wood floor, as they will dull the finish and performance of your floor. These products will also affect the ability to recoat your floor later.

Since wood naturally expands when it is wet, never wet mop or use excessive water to clean your floor. Large amounts of water can cause the wood to swell and may cause your floor to crack or splinter.



So I guess I shouldn’t use the Murphy’s Oil Soap? Darn, I thought that was what it was for. Unfortunately I have no idea what treatment was on the floor when it was laid. I'm thinking I may have it stripped and the polyurethane reapplied.

Does anyone have a great wood floor cleaner? I'd love to hear about it!


1 comments:

Fantastagirl 8:10 PM  

I don't, on our laminet (NOT REAL WOOD) floor I use water and vinegar - making sure to dry the floor as I go, otherwise I have spots...and it always looks dirty.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP