"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Ahhh, The Things We Pay Our Lawmakers to Do

>> Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Massachusetts is considering a spanking ban. Yep, another completely unenforceable law is being brought to the table.

This is actually interesting to me as my mom's group was discussing to spank or not to spank yeaterday- from a Biblical perspective. (Don't bail on me here, this is interesting stuff) We have been reading Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman. It has helped me to look at discipline in a whole new way.

I'm gonna toss you a couple of verses:


"Do not withhold disclipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod he
will not die." Proverbs 23:13

"The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but
a child left to himself disgraces his mother." Proverbs 29:15

"No
discipline seems pleasant at the time but painful. Later on, however, it
produces the harvest or rightousness and peace for those who have been trained
by it." Hebrews 12:11



Now I am in no way enforcing beating your child bloody or even with any sort of device like a belt or a wooden spoon. Beating your child is not the point. And discipline should never be carried out in anger.

I know that in our house Brenna responds to a spanking. I don't just go off and spank her. She will get one warning. But if I am going to warn her I am going to follow through with the punishment. And after the spanking we talk about why she was spanked and how she should have behaved to aviod the spanking.

And it works. And, believe it or not, it works even better if I show Brenna, in the Bible, how God says we should behave. We will memorize the verse and say it through the day.

Children need boundaries. They need to know that not everyone wins. Red ink is not the enemy. And, for the love of Pete, dodgeball is fun.

**PS Want more evil conservative talk? Go here to get my take on Hillary's new commercial and here to see what I was doing on John Edward's website.

1 comments:

Anonymous 8:08 PM  

uhh... someone is getting too bored in the government.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP