"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fab Food Friday

>> Friday, November 02, 2007

I'm not sure why, but breakfast food in the evening always seems so decadent. As child I can remember that dinner just seemed more "fun" when it was pancakes than when it was hamburgers.

And that feeling carries over into adulthood. I just love breakfast food at night. So last week I decided to treat the family to


Pumpkin French Toast

I actually pulled this recipe from a Glad Press 'n' Seal ad in an issue of Everyday Food about 2 years ago. So yummy!


You will need:


1 loaf brioche-style bread (I used French bread from the bakery)
1/4 c sugar
1/4 t ground cinnamon
pinch coarse salt
1/2c canned pumpkin puree
1/2 c half & half (I used whole milk)
4 large eggs
2 T orange juice
1 t grated fresh ginger (OK, I used the powdered stuff)
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t grated orange zest (Yeah, like I have that!)

Directions:

  • Trim ends of bread; cut crosswise into 12 - 1" slices
  • Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in pumpkin, half & half, eggs, OJ, ginger, vanilla & orange zest. Pour into a large pan (I used a 9x13 baking pan).
  • Add bread slices to pan, turn to coat. Cover (with Glad Press 'n Seal- aha! The ad tie-in is revealed!) and refrigerate over night (about 8 hours)
  • When you are ready to prepare, heat skillets, add butter. When butter is sizzling "toast" the bread about 2-3 minutes on each side. (The butter gives great flavor and the nice "golden" color. It is actually better than a spray for this recipe.)
  • Serve with maple syrup.

YUMMY!!!



1 comments:

lila 5:56 AM  

Yummm, since I do not eat breakfast this sounds like a perfect dinner with the kids.

PS. Faith is going to be thrilled--she will be here tonight!

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP