"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Make A Difference Day

>> Monday, November 24, 2008

Today our pastor preached on 1 Timothy chapter 6. I thought verses 7-10 were probably some of the strongest I have heard ...

7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Hearing those verses made me stop and re-evaluate my life. I can remember when I let greed and things be the focus of my life. "If I only had a convertible I would be happy." If I only had a house I would be happy." But I wanted more and more things and none of them ever made me happy. Because things don't bring happiness.

Verse 10 says the "love of money is the root of all evil". It's not money that is evil by the love of it, the desire for it above all else.

Since Doug and I have been more focused on the joys of life and have been getting rid of "stuff" I have realized just how true the above verses are. I have enjoyed giving far more than receiving.

To that end I want to share with you that here in central Iowa tomorrow (Monday, November 24) is "Make a Difference" day.

I'll be going through a couple of drive thrus tomorrow and leaving the card below with the cashier as I pay for the car behind me. Maybe you'll be behind me. Or maybe you'll copy the card and do your own giving.


For another opportunity to make a difference visit my Fill In The Blankie giveaway and make your nomination.

3 comments:

Paula Reece 11:30 AM  

I'm planning on doing something today, too but am not sure what yet...Let me know how the drivethru thing turns out!

Melody 1:08 PM  

That is great. I hadn't heard anything about it but I guess I haven't watched the news for a few days.

lila 8:00 AM  

Great Post

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP