"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I Made a Difference to Someone

>> Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Yesterday was Make a Difference Day in central Iowa. The idea behind it is a random act of kindness. While I always try to be kind and helpful to people yesterday I went the extra step- twice.

The first time was right after I dropped Brenna off at school. It was shortly after noon and I went through the Wendy's drive thru for a baked potato and chrispy chicken (both on the dollar menu) planning to pay for the person behind me (and hoping it wasn't a full car). When the car pulled up behind me it was just a single guy. So I paid for his meal (I think he ordered from the dollar menu as well!) and went on my way.

I left the little card for him and hoped it made his day a bit brighter.

After picking Brenna up from school the three of us made a run through Starbucks drive thru. I got the girls a tall strawberry and cream frappuccino (in two cups) and a grande caramel apple cider for myself. And I paid for the car behind me (and tipped the nice girl who seemed a bit perplexed that I was paying for someone else).

I pulled away from the drive thru and went a block or so away before pulling over and getting the girls drinks situated to give to them. As I turned back around I noticed a car beside mine. It was the lady I had bought the coffee for. She was almost in tears, she was so grateful. It seems she had spent much of the day at the courthouse with her son (who is in some kind of trouble) and had gone to Starbucks to get herself a coffe to cheer her a bit. The fact that someone would pay for her coffee on such a day was such a joy to her.

And it was a joy to me to do so. Even the smallest things make a difference. And there is no greater feeling than helping. Even when you don't get thanked. Is it selfish to want to do more because the feeling is so wonderful?

Did you make a difference to someone yesterday?

4 comments:

Laine 10:47 AM  

Oh my gosh, I think I heard about his lady, she called into the radio station and said exactly what you had said about her son and going to court all day.. she had gotten lost and all sorts of "problems". well I'm not sure if it was the same woman, but it sounds very similar!

Melody 1:15 PM  

What a wonderful story. It is great that you made such a difference to her. I think we forget that it is the small things that make a difference.

Fantastagirl 7:57 PM  

How awesome...thank you for making the world a better place.

The Fritz Facts 10:43 PM  

Such a great opportunity! So glad that you made such an impact in the person's day.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP