"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Cue The Cabana Boy

>> Wednesday, May 30, 2007

When I was young my parents bought a rope hammock. It was supported on a metal frame and, at the time, seemed enormous. I can remember tangling my limbs in it, flipping upside down – and alternately flipping my sister out of it so I could get in – and generally using it as a toy. Probably not what my parents had planned when they bought it. In fact, I am pretty sure we ruined it. And I’m not sure that my parents had any of the relaxation that they had actually purchased it for.

Rope hammocksseem to be making a comeback lately. I know I’ve thought about making that ever so decadent purchase a few times in the past couple of years. I could string it up between the posts below the deck and gently sway in the evening breeze…moon and stars overhead…drink in hand.

Of course there is Brenna to think about. My fearless little tot would surely be inclined to test such a wonderful toy. Not that I would blame her. If I close my eyes I can see it: Brenna, hanging upside down, so twisted in the ropes that they have to be cut apart. Oh, yes, it could happen. So maybe a fabric hammock would be a better choice. With a couple of pillows and a snuggly blanket I could easily use it until mid-October.

Something else I’ve seen quite a bit are hammock chairs. Still very comfy it would be more difficult for Brenna to tumble out of. Almost like being enveloped in a gigantic hug. The ones I have seen come with a foot rest and, man, can you kick back and relax. Come to think of it, they might even have a beverage holder…

Maybe I should buy my parents each one first. Now that I have an idea of the stresses of parenthood I’m surprised we didn’t get a bit of a beating for the destruction of that long ago hammock.

1 comments:

Tamara B 8:39 AM  

Hammocks are awesome. My hubby had a HUGE rope hammock that 3 of us could lay in. Be careful with those, the buttons on your clothing can catch and rip them. We now have a fabric one - not near as cool - that hangs between two trees overlooking our pasture. They are lovely!

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP