"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

My Credit File is Protected. Is Yours?

>> Monday, May 12, 2008

I just got papers in the mail today letting me know that fraud alerts had been placed on both Doug’s and my credit reports. It wasn’t a surprise to me that these came as lifelock let me know a couple of weeks ago that they were going to renew the alerts for me.

Of course I could set the reports myself (and do the dozen other things that Lifelock does for me) but it’s really time consuming, the credit card companies don’t make it very easy and they try to sell you their products. I did it once myself- never again.

But since Doug and I are paying down our debt we are receiving more and more offers of credit which means there are more opportunities for someone to try to steal our identities. Quick fact from Consumer Affairs.com:

For the seventh year in a row, identity theft tops the Federal Trade
Commission's complaint list, accounting for 36 percent of the 674,354 complaints
received between January 1 and December 31, 2006.
Seriously, that is a huge number. And the people who do this are savvy. Lifelock helps me keep closer track of what’s going on with our personal information. They send out regular emails to let me know what they will be doing and what, if anything, will be coming to my home. Great services, great customer service and peace of mind.

In my opinion it's well worth the annual fee.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP