"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Crying Babies, amongst other things

>> Thursday, September 23, 2004

The Presidential Race. Ugh. I'm bored. It's not even a race anymore. It's become a connect the dots puzzle of Kerryisms. Except there are two dots for each number. Now his voice is raspy because he has a cold. Awww. I think his voice is raspy from all the whining he has done lately. He has become more of a crying baby wanting attention than an actual viable candidate.

On to babies... Doug & I attended our final Childbirth class last night. Now we, technically, know about labor and delivery. Uh-huh, sure. I seriously have no clue. How bad is this pain that they want you to breathe through? Now, I like to think of myself as having a high tolerance for pain- I've ridden over 500 miles on a bicycle in 6 days (twice) and I can tell you that you HURT by day 2- but what is this going to feel like? I have a strong feeling that the proper breathing methods will be long gone by the time I need them. Right now, though, the thought of a needle in my back scares me more than pain. I am told that I will probably feel differently when the time comes.

Depending on who you ask I am due in 5 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 weeks, 2 weeks. My actual due date is October 27, I think she will come a week early as the doctor will be on vacation, my mother has a feeling that she will come on the 15th (which is also my nephew's birthday), and Doug says the 6th (his birthday). So, the baby pool is now offically open. Pick your day!!! Fabulous prizes!!!

The baby's room still remains Doug's office. After we get him moved into his new basement office we will still need to paint, attach moldings & set up everything. We have a trip to Ikea planned for this Sunday to purchase closet organizers & small furnishings. And these purchases will, I'm sure, be moved into my office which currently contains every baby item known to man... and then some. Luckily we were gifted with a Pack & Play. I have a feeling it may double as a bed... at least she won't have to sleep in a drawer.

Time has begun to move slowly, every day seems longer and 5 weeks is beginning to sound like eternity. I'm told it will be here before I know it. I guess that's what I'm afraid of.

12 comments:

Doug H 9:46 AM  

I love you Jody. You're the strongest woman I know. Just think of the end result and hope for the best. As to the pain, we can deal with it as it comes and you can make decisions then. Whatever is best for you and baby Brenna.

Repeat after me, "I am so lucky." Oh wait, that's your sister's line. How about "I am so loved." Because you are.

Jerry 10:28 AM  

A friend gave us a pine cradle about three months before Aaron was born. It had been enameled black, looked hideous - and I figured I could go ahead and strip it down and refinish the thing for Aaron to use.

I wore out two electric sanders on that thing. (Admittedly, they were cheap sanders.) And went through a LOT of 60 grit, 120 grit, 200 grit, and 300 grit sandpaper. And about a gallon of stripper. And it took 8 weeks to take the thing apart, strip it down, and reassemble it, then finish it with two coats of satin polyurethane.

He outgrew it in 4 weeks... but I sure don't begrudge the time spent on it. When he was placed in my arms, the world changed.

BTW, Pack and Plays are lifesavers. And, unless you squirt the little gal out like a watermelon seed, you'll be VERY grateful for the epidural. Don't fear the needle...

(Hint: Put the baby monitor on Doug's side of the bed. Heh. That's what my wife did, knowing I'd be vertical and headed for the door before my eyes were even open at the first whimper in the middle of the night. SHE got to sleep while I did the nighttime bottles..)

And Kerry? He's like an old Clairol commercial in reverse. The closer he gets, the worse he looks.

J.

Doug H 11:14 AM  

Thanks Jerry. We've been going on and off trying to get the house ready all summer. It always takes longer and costs more than you expect.

I can't wait.

Anonymous 12:07 PM  

I've been banned from buying my new niece noisy and annoying toys, and scared into submission with the threat of all the toys I gave coming back to me and then some when my time comes. Just because I grew up playing with a rock, a stick and some cow patties, I wanted to spoil my nieces and nephews with the things I never had. Hopefully I'll also be able to avoid the lunchtime discussion of the finer points of childbirth while I'm eating vegetable soup or pizza. I doubt it. That's the best time when my mouth is full of food and the excitement starts.

I'm so screwed.
Jarod

Jody 1:00 PM  

Jerry- thanks for the tip about the monitor. Unfortunately nighttime bottles are self contained and Doug doesn't have the container. Since I am staying home we have an agreement. I will get up Sunday-Thursday nights. Friday & Saturday he will bring her to me. And he gets to change all diapers at the hospital and in the evenings.

I may be biased, but I find my brother to be one of the funniest people I know. He knows that I am just trying to avoid the reincarnation of the saxaphone (AH-CHA-CHA). And that I am also very aware that no matter what I say I cannot stop the toys.

You got a stick? I wasn't allowed to have a stick! Besides, we were farm kids. Who needed toys when you had electric fences, assorted animals (goats, horses, cats & dogs) and ponds close by to fish for sunnies?

Doug H 1:42 PM  

You got cow patties! Gee, I didn't get to play with cow patties when I was a kid. We had a sandbox though...I'm beginning to wonder about the "rocks" in there.

Jerry 2:27 PM  

I'm just sayin' - sometimes plans don't go the way you expect. (grin) Sue tried the self-contained bottle routine, but it didn't quite work... Best have a plan B!

J.

Anonymous 3:32 PM  

The prize is more than worth the pain. I know. I have two pains/prizes of my own. You will learn to live in PJs until Doug gets home from work, then you can take a breather. I only live a few minutes away, so the boys & I can invade whenever we are needed or whenever you think you can handle us all!

I will try to refrain from packing all the loud toys & dropping them off at your house whenever I feel the need to rid myself of them (HA-CHA-CHA never gets old!)

The crib is ready for the move to your house whenever you are ready for it!

Love You!

Jen

Anonymous 5:18 PM  

One would think you were all tremendously deprived as children. I remember all the toys you got that after a couple of days didn't entertain anymore and you played with the boxes. Jody, your favorite toys as soon as you were mobile were your Grandmother's tupperware. You unloaded the cupboard with the bowls more times than I care to remember picking them up. Somewhere I have a picture of you in the walker with a bowl on your head, which I am going to post to show everyone how abused and mistreated you all were. I also have one of Jarod in a garbage can that I used to store material, pretending to Oscar the Grouch.

As far as the pain goes, each and every one of you were with not only the pain that goes with birthing, but the pains you caused growing up. It's a love/hate relationship and there are no books that can adequately describe it; you get to learn for yourself. It's worth every moment of pain, heartache, self-doubt and fear.

I am so looking forward to Brenna. I know you and Doug are going to great parents and I will be there to back you up.

Love to you all,

Mom

Doug H 5:23 PM  

Bring it on! Send me the pix and I'll post them. hee, hee, hee.

I'm so glad that my mother doesn't have an Internet connection....

Anonymous 10:32 PM  

Justin was Oscar the Grouch. I was the one who kept putting the lid on it. Must have been the "year" of pent up aggression since Justin took my red toy car from my white Tonka car hauler set (never mind the set came with a black and a yellow car as well) it was mine! (dammit) Okay, I resorted to the rock and stick and cowpoop when I was further away from the sandbox (there were surprises in there as well) but i remember that the girls got to ride a garden tractor for a while, man was I jealous. But what I remember best of all was being pulled in our blue wagon by that garden tractor through the pasture to chase the end of the rainbow.

Anonymous 10:24 PM  

Sounds like you have it all explained but you can do it and without the shot. Out of 5 I only had ether with your mom and a gas mask with your aunt kathy. Really, its a piece of cake if you just make up your mind that is how it will be. Jarod, I feel so sorry for you, I know how abused you were,HAAAAAA
Grandms

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP