"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Let Me Recommend: The Paper Bag Christmas by Kevin Alan Milne

>> Tuesday, December 02, 2008

As I sit down to write this review I feel like my words will fall painfully short of describing how much I was moved by this book. At a time when consumerism seems to have taken over the joy of Christmas (yes, I know it's been that way for years) and people are being stomped to death over toys I really think this book is necessary for everyone. Maybe it could help put Christmas back into perspective.

This is the story of Molar Alan (his name is explained in the book) and his brother who, with the help of Dr. Christopher K. Ringle receive an amazing Christmas gift, the best gift they never wanted.

Parts of this book made me laugh out loud and others had me quietly sobbing. I can't begin to describe the emotions it pulled from me, I can only hope that you will buy the book and experience the beauty of its words.

This book will become a Christmas tradition in our home. As my daughters get older we will read this aloud as Christmas approaches and, hopefully they will join in with the reading as they are able. This is truly a story that will last lifetimes.



Click Here to read an excerpt of The Paper Bag Christmas.

Many thanks to Miriam at the Hachette Book Group for sending me this book. Miriam has also graciously offered a second book to one of my readers.

This contest has ended

To enter simply leave a comment with your favorite Christmas tradition.

For a second entry read the excerpt of The Paper Bag Christmas. The main character is given a sheet of paper with a single question on it. What would you write if you were given that paper? Leave a second comment with your answer.

For a third entry blog this contest or retweet (for Twitter copy & paste this: RT @iatraveler Giving away a copy of The Paper Bag Christmas! Must read! http://tinyurl.com/67st8p - And don't forget to follow me on Twitter!) Leave a third comment with a link to your blog post or Twitter ID so I can confirm this entry.

Only three entries per person, please. Make sure I can easily find an email to contact you; I will not search for one. Contest ends Tuesday, December 9 at 11:59 pm. I will draw the winner on Wednesday December 10 (hopefully) in the morning. The winner will be contacted via email and will have 3 days to respond. If I do not hear back from the winner within that time another winner will be drawn.

16 comments:

Laidback Chick 4:06 PM  

My son and I have been baking a "birthday" cake and hanging balloons honoring Christmas by throwing a birthday party for Jesus.

Heather 8:44 PM  

http://ysandeyes.blogspot.com/2008/12/contest-link.html

Here's the link to my post.

Heather 8:45 PM  

To finish all I want for Christmas I would say....
a housekeeping service, just twice a month. :)
Love and peace for everyone too...

Heather 8:47 PM  

My favorite Christmas tradition-
4 of our neighbors have a beautiful light display and we walk if the weather is nice enough with our other neighbors the day after thanksgiving and the kids (adults too) think we're in a magic kingdom in the middle of all the lights. A fun way to start the season.

Anonymous 10:58 AM  

We love to ride around looking at the lights while drinking hot chocolate. monk5 (at) charter (dot) net

Liz 12:25 AM  

I make a huge, and I mean huge batch of sugar cookies. And everyone who comes over during the holidays has to decorate one. It was a tradition started when my girls were little.

Renee G 12:39 AM  

I like the fact that we always go to church on Christmas Eve with all of the extended family --- then head to our house later for food and presents.

rsgrandinetti@yahoo.com

Donna 3:36 AM  

We like to go to church on Christmas Eve.
donna444444@yahoo.com

Donna 3:38 AM  

I would put that the economy would improve.
donna444444@yahoo.com

Unknown 4:58 PM  

We always always watch "White Christmas" to start the Holiday season!

Heather

Anonymous 6:18 PM  

On Christmas Eve we ride around and look at the lights and then open one gift before going to bed.

deborahcraft at yahoo dot com

Unknown 9:20 PM  

One of our Christmas traditions is that we all get new pajamas on Christmas Eve. It's something my mom did with me and I'm passing it on to my kids.

rebecca 10:54 AM  

My favourite tradition is simply cuddling with my husband on the couch and listening to Christmas music. He always wants to start listening to Christmas music in October... after Canadian Thanksgiving. Lots of months to listen!

gitrecca (at) gmail (dot) com

rebecca 10:57 AM  

I'd say, that we would grow as a family this year, and that we would learn to be thankful for what we have. I'd also be tempted towards a new wardrobe for my baby boy... :)

gitrecca (at) gmail (dot) com

Andrea 4:34 PM  

We would always get a fresh christmas tree the night before christmas eve at our local nursery and decorate it as a family when everyone would be there, then our tree was still fresh on christmas morning

janetfaye 4:19 AM  

On Christmas Eve we eat dinner and watch holiday movies.

janetfaye (at) gmail (dot) com

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP