"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

What price for safety?

>> Thursday, November 11, 2004

New x ray machines at Heathrow airport in London leave nothing to the imagination.

Apparently the machine can see through clothing, which has a British civil rights group up in arms calling it a "voyeur's charter."

Right now the machine is being tested on volunteers only who don't seem to be offended by the added security.

We flew out of Heathrow in the spring of 2003. I remember that my shoes, which had to be removed in the US because of metal in the soles, were able to be worn through the detectors and our laptop didn't have to be taken out of the case. Differences in safety standards, I suppose.

Personally I would be OK with anything that could make flying safer. Who is looking out for my right to fly in safety? What if I don't want to fly with people who refuse to be thoroughly inspected? Aren't my civil rights being violated?

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP