"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

He is, After All, Only a Man

>> Thursday, January 22, 2009

The day before Barack Obama was sworn in as our 44th president an artist's lifesize likeness of him rode through downtown Des Moines on a donkey surrounded by black SUV's and "secret service". (as reported by KCCI but the video is nowhere to be found on their website now)

The unveiling of his likeness at Madam Tussard's in London is "melting people's hearts" according to this video.

"I'll do whatever he says to do," actress Halle Berry said to the Philadelphia Daily News. "I'll collect paper cups off the ground to make his pathway clear."

While I understand the excitement that surrounds this president the elation and the worship confuse me. Obviously the likeness of him riding a donkey through the streets is meant to be symbolic of Jesus - the only thing missing was the waving of palm branches.

""No one saw him coming, and Christians believe God comes at us from strange angles and places we don't expect, like Jesus being born in a manger." --Lawrence Carter

"Many even see in Obama a messiah-like figure, a great soul, and some affectionately call him Mahatma Obama." -- Dinesh Sharma

"He communicates God-like energy..." -- Steve Davis (Charleston, SC)

"Obama's finest speeches do not excite. They do not inform. They don't even really inspire. They elevate. . . . He is not the Word made flesh, but the triumph of word over flesh . . . Obama is, at his best, able to call us back to our highest selves." -- Ezra Klein

"We're here to evolve to a higher plane . . . he is an evolved leader . . . [he] has an ear for eloquence and a Tongue dipped in the Unvarnished Truth." -- Oprah Winfrey
Really, I truly understand the significance of this man becoming the President of the United States. I hope this can help to put the issue of race and power to rest. And I pray every night that he is the greatest leader since Lincoln. While I didn't vote for him, he is my President. (I won't be getting a bumper sticker that says otherwise.) Though I may not agree with him I won't be calling him ignorant or poking fun at his speaking abilities without a teleprompter.

The office of President deserves respect, thus the person who holds that office receives it. Because, ultimately, that person holds my very life in his hands. It is through his actions that my children's ultimate safety lies. It is through his appointments that our future prosperity and power is determined. It is through his direction that our country follows.

So, yes, he is powerful. But he is not God. And as I read the quotes and see the coverage that seems to elevate him to that status I wonder just how long it will last. I truly believe that campaign promises cannot always be kept and that idealism is always more golden than the reality that follows.

The office that Mr. Obama now holds has more facets than any one individual can imagine (hence the enormous staff); each portion's brilliance dependent upon the others to keep our country shining as brightly as it has for over 200 years.

But... He's going to do things that even his most passionate supporters won't like. He's going to pass policies that keep us in the Middle East. He's going to raise taxes on those he promised not to - or (gasp!) he may even leave the Bush tax cuts in place. He may "close" Guantanamo - but is moving those detainees into the US really any different?

I guess what I'm really trying to get to is that old adage, "The bigger they are the harder they fall". I don't believe that Barack Obama has elevated himself to the level of celebrity/adulation/god-like stature that he seems to be at. None-the-less, he has been placed on a pretty high pedestal. One that I am doubtful he can remain on. No one could. He is, after all, only a man.

At Boudicca's Voice: Notice to America

6 comments:

Paula Reece 1:26 PM  

You just wrote the same post I've been composing in my head since Tuesday! All day Tuesday I just felt, well, unnerved. I am glad that we finally reached this race milestone, but the worship and the blind giddiness has been really bothering me. The insinuations (or declarations by some very misled people) that our president is the Messiah who has come back to save us all is frightening and just sad. I agree that the people who are claiming to be his biggest fans are just setting him up for failure, although I don't think they'd ever really admit it when he did disappoint them... I'm afraid the country has just lost all rational thought and is in this "puppy love" phase where it's all hearts and unicorns and we aren't able to see things as they really are or evaluate what is REALLY best in the long run for our children. People are saying that he is who they've been waiting for and are saying, "FINALLY! We're saved!" but the truth is that the One who can REALLY save our country (and all of our souls) has been with them ALL ALONG. They just choose to not see Him. Thanks for the great post (although I'm sure you'll get your share of naysayers)! I'm with ya, girl!

Kara 1:34 PM  

The whole thing makes me ill, and I am sooooooo sick of seeing Mrs.O on tv in drapes that are right out of the oval office(there is a picture of the new President at his desk and behind him are the drapes on the wall, I swear it is the same fabric)

My biggest comfort is that God is the one that truly picks the leaders and it is all in his plan, and his timing that things happen.

Check out this link(warning it is not kid friendly)http://michellemalkin.com/2009/01/19/feel/

Anonymous 9:12 PM  

Ditto to the first two comments...the things I am hearing and seeing on the web, radio, and television make me ill....

Heather 11:02 PM  

you hit the nail right on the head, so eloquently too! Great post, I have had this uneasy feeling all week, but couldn't put my finger on it. It's not him, it's the pedestal so many are putting him on...Now my prayer is stronger than ever- God, please, Bless America.

lila 6:04 AM  

Great post Jody--mind if I link it?

Jackie B. 4:20 PM  

I am happy to see there are others out there that feel the way I do. I do hope he is a great president and gets lots of "good things" accomplished. But, like you stated, he is but one man.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP