"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fab Food Friday: Jarod's Birthday

>> Friday, April 20, 2007

I really enjoy cooking and baking. I'm not so fancy and fabulous as some (yes, Meritt, I'm talking about you) but I do turn out some pretty yummy stuff.

In my family we celebrate birthdays with a gathering that includes cake. And, quite often, I volunteer to make the cake. So it was with the celebration of Jarod's birthday last week. When I asked what kind of cake Jarod would want I was told "white cake with strawberry frosting". OK- So... Jell-O Poke Cake:



For all those who like an easy, out of the box, recipe, this is for you:

1 box cake mix (white or yellow is best)
1- 6 oz box (or 2 - 3 oz boxes) of Jell-O
Frosting of your choice

Prepare cake mix as instructed on box. Cool completely. (If using round pans remove cake from pans, cool then replace cakes in pans)

Mix Jell-O with 2 cups boiling water until completely dissolved.

Poke cake with fork at 1 1/2 inch intervals. Slowly pour Jell-O onto cake and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Frost. Remember to keep cake in fridge until time to eat!

If removing cake from pans to frost: fill kitchen sink with 1/2 inch warm water and place pans in water to loosen Jell-O. Invert pan onto plate. Frost top of first cake before placing the second cake on top. Frost.

But that, dear friends, is not the end of this particular FFF.

Now, a while back I made a card for my dad with my Wishblade. In the comments Jarod had this to say: You know my birthday is coming up, do you think you can make a card with a pop-up cake and a pop-up girl to jump out of it?

So, I tried. I really did. I tried two dimensional; I tried three dimensional. I just couldn't get that darn girl to pop.

Then I remembered that I still had the doll body from Brenna's first birthday cake.



If I had been thinking forward I would have made a tiered cake...

The look on Jarod's face was priceless.

And for those wondering... Yes, that is his birthday gift in the VS bag. No, I'm not telling you what he got. :)

***But I will! That's right! I've hijacked the post! AH Hahahahahaha!

The VS bag matched the cake and was probably meant to indicate something racy or a little naughty (since everyone including Mom was there and embarrassment runs high in the entertainment factor).

Since I have a garage full of tools and cars and junk and a house full of clothes and furniture I didn't want anything that would take up space and I didn't want any gift cards. Too many gift cards on a birthday is like getting socks when you're three.

Anyway, I had mentioned a commercial on TV once about a Nintendo DS portable game system and the game BrainAge. It takes up no room, and I could not be more thrilled with it.

6 comments:

Me 7:42 AM  

What an excellent idea when they request a girl popping out of a cake! Bah ha ha ha.

Wonderful.

BTW: Happy Birthday J!!!!!!

Amanda B. 8:20 AM  

I'll know to keep my comments to myself next time, but seriously it was one of the more fun birthdays I've had!

Marie 12:34 PM  

Come on!!! What's in the VS bag?!

The cake looks great! Sounds delish too.

Tamara B 1:20 PM  

love the cake idea!
I still want a wishblade!

Unknown 2:32 PM  

Fun cake ... love the doll idea! LOL!

:)

Fantastagirl 5:26 PM  

Great cake - gonna remember that idea for the BIL in the future.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP