"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

My Hobbies

>> Friday, September 16, 2005

I may be a busy stay at home mom but I try to find time for a few things that I enjoy.

If money were no object I would travel extensively. I'm very fortunate in the places I've been. I've had the great fortune of traveling to many places in the US, both destinations like the Florida Keys and San Francisco and the off-the-beaten-path places like Steeleville, Missouri (there is an amazing B&B there) and Guthrie, Oklahoma. I've been overseas only twice (three times soon!) to Ireland and London. I love exploring new places, meeting new people and experiencing new cultures. I just saw an episode of Passport to Europe. I want to visit Belgium now.

I am also a voracious reader. I can remember reading cereal boxes as a kid while I ate breakfast. I have the great ability to absorb what I read like a sponge. I have so much information floating around in my brain. Usually I am reading 2 or 3 books at a time. One for fun, one for information and one to learn. I just finished my fun book, a Nora Roberts romance, I am reading The Enemy Within by Michael Savage and am attempting to learn a bit of Gaelic before our vacation. Not an easy language. Not to mention the blogs I am addicted to (But don't seem to have time to visit lately!)

Sewing is something I enjoy. I didn't used to. In fact, I once swore I would never learn. I remember my mom making our clothes; especially jeans. She had this deluxe sewing machine with special plates for fancy stitching. It could even do lettering. I know she made at least one pair of jeans with my name on the pocket. This was back in the day when everyone wore Gloria Vanderbilt. I was so not cool. But now I am glad that she instilled the art of creating in me. Not that I make clothes; but I did make Brenna's crib bedding and I sew our Renaissance costumes. Right now I am transforming a wagon into a chariot for the princess. It's almost done; I made the pattern myself. I'll be sure to share it next week.

Scrapbooking is my newest hobby. Once a month my sister, SIL & GFIL (girlfriend in law) gather at Archivers for Scrap Mania and scrapbook from 5-11pm. Yes, I have the stuff to do this at home, but I don't get the chance. Besides, it is so nice to have an entire store at your disposal. You can be so much more creative. And there is noone to interrupt you. We are gathering tonight, minus my sister who is busy packing for a trip. I will be making invitations for Brenna's first birthday.

So, there you have it. My hobbies. Just in case you ever want to get me a gift...

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP