"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

My First Trip to the "Big City" Wasn't So Memorable

>> Thursday, August 21, 2008

My first time on an airplane I was 20 years old. (How sad is it that my children both flew by the age of one?) I was a hair stylist and the salon I worked at sent us to a huge convention in Chicago. At this time I was very, well, let’s just call me “green”. Oh, I thought I was pretty cool, but I was a fish way out of water having come out of small-town Iowa not long before and having been practically nowhere before.

I wish I could remember the hotel we stayed at… But I know it was within walking distance of Watertower Place- the largest shopping mall I had ever seen. There was a Disney Store! I didn’t know such a place existed!

A friend of mine had given me her ID. The only real similarities were our dark hair. I was taller and her eyes were a startling blue. But it worked. And I got my first taste of big-city nightlife. I have no idea how I got back to my hotel room the nights I was there. I vaguely remember cabs and one of my shoes lost a heel. I’m told that I had a good time. Lucky for me I didn’t suffer any ill effects- my boss would have had my hide!

My real regret is that my first trip to a major city really isn’t all that memorable. I wish I had taken some Chicago tours or ventured to the top of the Sears Tower.

Even though I've returned to Chicago a few times since that trip I still haven't toured the city. I really plan to do that one day, with the help of Trusted Tours & Attractions and their online travel guides. They offer tours in 23 cities across America so whether you want to see the Golden Gate Bridge, ghosts in Savannah or the Metropolitan museum of art, they can help you do it.

And if you're planning a trip sign up for their free newsletter- this month you could win $150 Magellan's gift certificate.

0 comments:

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP