"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Well, The Evening Began Idyllicaly

>> Wednesday, April 22, 2009

This evening was gorgeous. It was warm & sunny; Doug pulled out the patio table & chairs so we could eat dinner outside. We had gnocchi and salad. Had we been surrounded by grape vines and eating on a rustic wooden table it couldn't have been more ideal.

After dinner we all did some yard work (Doug picked up poo while the girls and I pulled weeds). I began taking plates into the house. I was in the kitchen when I heard a thump. You know the sound- kind of like a melon hitting a cement slab.

Except it wasn't a melon. Unless you're using speaking slang for head... Then I suppose you could say that Caelan's "melon" hit the patio slab. Hard enough for me to hear it in the kitchen- one floor up and indoors.

Somehow she had missed the seat of our patio swing, or she slipped off... I'm not really sure. Doug said it happened in a split second... She was on and then she wasn't.

Oh how she cried.

Her eyes didn't dilate, she didn't lose conscienceness or vomit. She was groggy and dazed.

We made a trip to urgent care. Where she wasn't the only child visiting for a head bump.

By the time we saw the doctor she was telling me, "My head is ok, Mommy." But with the whole Natasha Richardson thing in my mind we weren't leaving.

The doctor we saw was very understanding. He checked her eyes, ears, blood pressure... He asked her questions and had her walk.

We left with instructions to wake her twice tonight and make sure she is fully conscience. And no food lest she vomit. I made mention that my worry was bleeding. He said that is really the only worry but that he didn't see any signs of that. I commented that they were probably seeing a lot of worried parents for this reason and he said, "Yes. And doing a lot of unnecessary cat scans. The case with Neeson's wife, that is incredibly rare. In a child your daughter's age a cat scan probably wouldn't show anything, anyway."

Right now Caelan is fast asleep in our bed. I'm thinking about taking the computer upstairs and sitting by her as she sleeps...

8 comments:

Amanda B. 11:55 PM  

Poor thing. I'll have to give her extra hugs when I see her tomorrow. I am glad everything seems to be ok!!

And I am glad to know that I am not the only one worried about head bumps since the Natasha Richardson thing. Zoe has fallen off the couch a few times since then and I was secretly freaking out each time...LOL!!

Marie 6:17 AM  

Scary! Another case for velcro & everyday helmets! It's amazing what little ones go through...

The Fritz Facts 7:34 AM  

How scary! I am so glad that she is okay. And that the doctor understood your fears.

Anonymous 12:39 PM  

Poor thing ... your description is EXACTLY how I would describe the sound when Drew fell and fractured his skull in two places. It was awful.

Another thing, for future reference since everything seems to be okay, is to have them stick out their tongue. If it comes out straight it's good. If it comes out to the right, there is a brain injury on the left side of the brain ... comes out left, injury on the right side. They would wake Drew up every 30 minutes in the hospital for 2 days with this little test. He found it fun at the beginning ... and not so much by the end of day two. HA HA HA HA!

Glad she is okay. And, it's always better to be safe than sorry. :)

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife 8:41 PM  

Poor baby! I am glad she is OK.

Fantastagirl 9:14 PM  

I'm so glad she is okay...I hope she is back to "normal" in the morning!

Sally 9:15 PM  

I would have been scared, too. Glad she's doing well - snuggle that kiddo!

Tamara B 3:14 PM  

that sounds scary! Seems like its usually scarier for the parent than the child. That gave me the goosebumps.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP