"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Shhh... Don't Tell Anyone...

>> Thursday, March 05, 2009

Honestly, you don't realize just how good you have it until you are away. For example:

Brenna & Caelan go to preschool & gymnastics at Triad Kids Campus. For under $375 per month they each have a one hour gymnastics class per week, Caelan has 1.5hours of preschool (a class of 10 with 2 teachers) a week and Brenna has 7.5 hours (a class of 12 with 2 teachers). The facility is huge, the classrooms are large & airy and the staff and teachers are amazing.

Now, I know my standards may be high... But, just as comparison...

For 8 weeks of gymnastics here, in a gym 1/4 the size of Triad's and a class 3x bigger we paid $268. Ouch! And for Brenna to attend a preschool (Caelan isn't old enough in the state of Massachusetts) 2x a week, 8 hours total for 6 weeks (in a class of 20 with 2 teachers) is $415! OUCH! This preschool can't even begin to compare to what we are used to in terms of space or quality. And it's one of the best in the area!

Of course the places we are going are nice... They just aren't as nice as what we are used to.

Now, Doug makes a nice income... Upper middle class- in Iowa at least. I'm not sure how people live out here with the cost of housing, child care, schooling... Wowsers.

But, let's just keep this between us. If all these coastal people realized just how good we have it in "fly over" country they might decide to move!

On that note: As we were dropping Doug off at the train station today a lady pulled up beside the van. I rolled down my window (does a window roll down if it's automatic?) to have her ask if we had just moved to Massachusetts. I told her that Doug is working out here for a while. Turns out her family moved out last summer from Johnston- another Des Moines suburb. "it's a small world after all..."
Just so you know... I'm not moving here...

5 comments:

Anonymous 10:37 AM  

Yeah ... it as amazing the price differences between here and Chicago when we moved.

I don't think I could afford or give my kids all that we are able to here ... if I lived somewhere else.

I prefer to keep the greatness of Iowa a secret ... ;)

Anonymous 10:37 AM  

Yeah ... it as amazing the price differences between here and Chicago when we moved.

I don't think I could afford or give my kids all that we are able to here ... if I lived somewhere else.

I prefer to keep the greatness of Iowa a secret ... ;)

Tamara B 10:39 AM  

hmm, how did she know to connect with you. Do you look like you're from DM area???

Tamara B 10:40 AM  

By the way, I asked Ryan the other night if I could go visit you. He had a surprised look on his face. I told him that you guys were seeing all kinds of cool places and I wanted to tag along!

Jill 1:59 PM  

We pay nearly $15,000 per year for full-time "dayschool" for one child plus another $500 per year for a sports camp at the school. And the quality....ummm...I don't think anything compares to my beloved IOWA! Heck, half the time not a single staff person speaks to me when I come to pick my child up. Not even "hello" let alone any kind of information about what he did all day.

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP