"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fab Food Friday

>> Friday, September 21, 2007

Caelan turned 1 this past Tuesday. The first birthday, even though the guest of honor can't remember it, is very special.

Caelan's party had a Princess theme. The card I made was "Mirror Mirror":




And, of course, every princess needs a castle:



This cake was very easy to make; it was actually more time consuming to decorate. I got the "recipe" from FamilyFun.com.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
2 baked 9-inch square cakes
Pink frosting
4 baked cupcakes
4 ice-cream cones
Green colored sugar
4 Hershey's Kisses
Necco Wafers
M&M candies
2 cups blue Jell-O
1 cup shredded coconut, tinted with green food coloring
1 graham cracker
1. Place one of the square cakes on a large platter. Frost, then layer with the second square cake.

2. Place the cupcakes on top of the cake in each of the four corners. Top each cupcake with an inverted ice-cream cone. Frost the cupcakes and cones. Score the frosting with a fork to make the textured castle siding.

3. Now, add candies. First, sprinkle the green sugar on the cones, then top each cone with a Hershey's Kiss. Outline the top of the cake with Necco Wafers. Create a castle door with more Necco wafers and M&M's.

4. Surround the cake with the blue Jell-O and a ring of the green shredded coconut.

5. Finally, place a graham cracker drawbridge over the moat, and invite the party guests to dig in. Serves 8 to 10.

I did make changes, though. I used different ice cream cones because I already had them, I bought different candies to decorate, and I added gummy "sentries".

What I would do differently:

  • I used 2 cake mixes (one to make 2 of the cakes and one to make cupcakes). Next time I would make 3 cakes and half the number of cupcakes. I would have liked the cake to be taller.
  • I might add flags to the tops of the cones. Maybe with a toothpick and Fruit Roll Ups.
  • I would remember to unwrap the cupcakes before I put them on top of the cake- to prevent slippage. Yes, I know, genius.

Don't be surprised if this cake shows up again... improved.


3 comments:

Corinne 11:07 AM  

OMG!! How cute is that cake!! Your daughter will remember it. By you remembering and telling her all about it and of course all of the pictures. Happy Friday!! :)

lila 4:01 AM  

All I can say is WOW! That is some cake!

Anonymous 1:14 PM  

Brielle had that same cake (but different colors) for her 5th birthday party. I *heart* Family fun !!

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP