"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

P.S. It's Free! Oh really?

>> Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Yesterday I was listening to our local FM talk station and I heard a commercial that really bothered me. It was for WIC, a nutritional program for pregnant and post-partum women and chldren under 5.

The commercial was talking about the importance of good nutrition. OK, so far I'm with you. WIC has specific foods you can get, you can't just buy any old thing. Unlike food stamps... which aren't really "stamps" anymore as they give recipients a "credit card" so they won't be embarassed when they use it. But that is completely another subject.

What bothered me was the very last line of the commercial: "P.S. It's free." Hmmm, really? Are you sure about that? I think our taxes go to pay for that program. Sooo, yes, if you qualify for WIC it probably is free because you are probably not paying in to the state taxes. But I find the commercial to be very misleading and, frankly, I feel like it may contribute to the problems with our welfare system.

I'm not saying that I don't agree with having a system in place to help those who are less fortunate. What I am saying is that telling people the programs are "free" is the wrong message to send.

It is no wonder so many people feel as if society "owes" them. Our government seems to believe it...

Powered By Blogger
Wikio - Top Blogs - Politics
Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network


  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP