"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Welcome Home, Here's your Summons

>> Tuesday, February 08, 2005

While I was going through my piles of mail from a week in Vegas, I found that I have been selected to serve jury duty for 1 week or 1 trial, whichever is greater. Lucky me! On the summons, there is a little survey asking all kinds of questions like "Can you read, write, speak & UNDERSTAND English?" Darn it, I can. "Have you, a close friend or family member had serious crimes committed against you (them)?" No. "Do you have children at home and what are their ages." I do! 2 and 3.

At the bottom, there is a place where you can ask to be excused from jury duty, which I did. I stated that I am a stay-at-home Mother with a 2 and 3 year old, therefore I have no day care. I received a short letter today stating the judge had denied my request to be excused, but he would grant a deferral of up to 3 months. Apparently you can be excused if you are nursing or if you care for a mentally incapacitated adult. WHAT???!!! Like toddlers are easier to care for or to find day care for?

So, I left a very crabby little message for the jury clerk that I would be more than happy to bring the kids along since I don't have daytime child care, nor do I intend to pay $400 for child care for the week of service they insist I provide. I almost felt sorry for the woman who had to call me back. I was THRILLED that the kids decided to scream & cry when she called me. She pushed my required week back to May 23, to allow me time to find child care.

Here's the kicker...they pay you a whopping $10 per day for this all important service. So, if my saint of a sister didn't say she would help me out AGAIN, I would be -$350 for the week. I agree that this is a duty that should not be taken lightly, but REALLY there are TONS of people who DO have child care who would probably like to get out of work for a week (or do not have children that need day care). Honestly, couldn't they have drawn my number before I had kids?

It's not that I don't want to do my duty, but my husband is starting a new job 2/21 and he can't take any time off right away. I don't think employers have to allow you to take time off so your spouse can perform jury duty.

I am pretty sure they won't want me for a jury, anyway. I am VERY conservative. I think Iowa should have capital punishment, and it should be used liberally for murderers and drug offenders. I read the news and listen to the radio. I usually know what's going on in my neck of the woods. I just hope it's one week (or less).

Sorry...my rant is over.

Happy to be at Home 1 Powered By Ringsurf
Proud Mommy Webring
© WebRing Inc.
Proud Mommy Webring
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Rate| Next >>

WidgetBox Network

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP